Mental health matters.
Yes, just like your physical health, your mental health also matters. Perhaps, a little more than anything else in your life. Because, mental health illness could not be detected in open eyes. You may have pain, but it’s not compulsory to feel the pain like headache or bone fractures. When someone suffers from mental health illness, he feels the pain, too. But in this case, the pain is invisible, even to the fighter himself.
It takes long to identify that you are dealing with some mental health issues, you are suffering from stress or anxiety or depression or something else.
And, it takes longer to accept the fact that, you are suffering.
That, you are suffering from some intense problems and you can’t express your grief to the world. You are bearing the pain all alone, silently, inside your heart.
That, you need a help. You need a kind soul and a touch of empathy.
You need people to take care of your mind, just like your body.
You need to be vocal about your suffering.
Because, you deserve to smile. To be happy like anyone else. To live life without any regrets. You deserve love, care, and compassion.
Dear fighter, I know you are feeling sad, you are feeling alone. You are feeling covered with despair and darkness. You feel choked as your voice is lost somewhere, far away from that lovely gorgeous happy soul.
I know, because one day, I was at your place where you are standing right now. I was one of you. I was, just like you. Fighting every moment, every day, with my inner pain. Fighting, and conquering. All alone.
But today, I am here to be vocal about my own fight. Dear friends, we are not alone. Believe me, we all are in this together. And there are many kind people out there who are ready to stretch their hands to help you out and bring you to light. Once again, there will be hope in your life. Once again, there will be smile in your life. Once again, there will be love in your life.
Like me, you just need to be vocal about your own self. Raise your voice and seek help. There is nothing wrong in seeking help when you are suffering. I have realized that there is still room for hope, love and smile in this world.
Speak out loud, dear friend. Because we need to be heard.
Here is the first post of the series “We Need to Be Heard”. At first, we should take a look at what is the mental health illness and what are the basic causes for mental health issues.
What is Mental Health Illness:
According to American psychiatric Association, “Mental illnesses are health conditions involving changes in emotion, thinking or behavior (or a combination of these). Mental illnesses are associated with distress and/or problems functioning in social, work or family activities.”
Types of Mental Health Illness:
Here are some mental health problems that often arise in people.
- Depression: Depression is considered as a mood disorder. It may be described as feelings of deep silent pain inside the heart and that we can’t express to anyone. It could be grief, sadness, or anger that becomes unbearable at times.
- Anxiety Disorders: Anxiety Disorders are a group of mental illnesses that cause anxiety and gradually it takes over your mind with fear. The excessive anxiety can make you avoid people and get-togethers, work, school, and other social situations that might trigger anxiety.
- Eating Disorder: Eating disorders are a range of psychological conditions that cause developing unhealthy eating habits in your lifestyle. They might start with an obsession with food and then gradually it becomes associated with body weight or body shape. If left untreated for long time, eating disorders can cause serious health consequences.
- Bipolar Disorder: It’s a disorder associated with episodes of mood swings that range from depressive lows to manic highs.
- Schizophrenia: It’s a mental disorder that affects a person’s ability to think, feel properly and sometimes the person becomes unable to behave clearly.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD): It’s a mental illness that occurs from excessive thoughts that is obsessions and it leads to repetitive behaviours (compulsions).
- Personality Disorders: This is a type of mental disorder in which you have an unhealthy pattern of thinking. Sometimes the same happens also in functioning and behaving.
These are some mental health illness I have written about. But there are many more beyond these ones.
Basic Causes for Mental Health Illness:
Mental health illness can have different kind of causes. Here are some factors that could cause mental health problems:
- Childhood abuse
- Trauma in childhood or in adolescence
- Long-term stress
- Long-term physical health condition
- Domestic violence
- Experiencing Discrimination
There are some other factors that can also affect your mental health. Some lifestyle factors like work, diet, food habit and lack of sleep can also affect your mental health. There are many other factors as well.
(This post is a part of the Cause A Chatter blogging campaign by Blogchatter).